Charleston is the perfect place for a bachelor party.
With a combination of great golf courses, fun nightlife, and the open seas all within minutes of downtown, you won’t find many better locations to have your bachelor party.
There’s a reason Charleston was ranked the best city in the world by Travel + Leisure in 2016, but it can be a little intimidating when trying to plan for a short weekend with the boys.
That’s why we’ve made this ultimate guide for your Charleston bachelor party.
So you know…
- When to visit…
- Where to stay…
- And what to do in Charleston!
Table of Contents
- When to Visit Charleston for a Bachelor Party
- Where to Stay in Charleston for a Bachelor Party
- 9 Bachelor Party Activities in Charleston
- Frequently Asked Questions
When to Visit Charleston for a Bachelor Party
Charleston’s subtropical climate is one of the reasons Charleston has visitors year round.
You can get great weather in all 12 months of the year.
However, if you want the best chance of warm sunny days that aren’t too hot for golf, we recommend planning your bachelor party in either the Spring or Fall.
Summer can get a bit too hot
The summer can also be very nice, but with an average high of 89 degrees it can often be too hot (especially if you plan on day drinking).
Budget Tip: If you wanna save some money and don’t plan on going into the Ocean, the cool season lasting from December 2nd to March 2nd is still a great time to visit and you will save huge amounts of money on airfare and lodging!
Where to Stay in Charleston for a Bachelor Party
Depending on the size of your group and budget, there are several different areas and types of lodging that can accommodate your bachelor party in Charleston.
- Downtown Charleston — In the city’s heart, this area offers easy access to top attractions and eateries. Ideal for small groups preferring luxury hotels like The Dewberry.
- Mount Pleasant — A beachy vibe 15 minutes from downtown. Offers both upscale house rentals and affordable hotels, great for varied budgets.
- Isle of Palms — Home to luxurious mansions with ocean views. Perfect for a lavish stay, it’s 30 minutes from the city, blending relaxation with city access.
- James Island — A calm locale south of Charleston, it’s filled with spacious rentals. Ideal for those seeking a relaxed atmosphere with proximity to city fun.
- Kiawah — Golfers’ paradise an hour from downtown. From the elite Sanctuary Hotel to various rental homes, it’s a treat for golf enthusiasts and relaxation seekers.
1. Downtown Charleston
Downtown is the obvious choice if you want to be able to walk to all of the restaurants and bars. However, it’s also the priciest option and there are not many large house rentals.
This means it’s ideal for smaller groups who want to ball out in a beautiful hotel and walk to everything but don’t need a big house for after parties.
Our favorite hotels downtown are The Dewberry, Hotel Bennett and the Grand Bohemian.
2. Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant is a beautiful beachtown approximately 15 minutes from downtown Charleston with plenty of big house rentals that are perfect for bachelor parties.
Depending on your budget there are several options that have pools and are walking distance from the beach.
There are also several 3 star hotels for great value if you prefer to save your money for the activities!
3. Isle of Palms
Home to many of the nicest and largest Airbnbs in the area, IOP is a no-brainer for your next bachelor party mansion.
Many of the homes have large decks, swimming pools and beautiful views of the ocean.
It’s also only 30 minutes away from Downtown Charleston, making it significantly closer than Kiawah.
4. James Island
Similar to Mount Pleasant, only South of Charleston instead of North, this is another great place to find some big house rentals.
Just remember that you will want to figure out Charleston transportation before you start drinking!
Whether you stay at the famous Sanctuary Hotel or one of their many rental homes, you will love Kiawah. Especially if your main reason to be in the Lowcountry is to golf.
However, if you plan on spending most of your time in the Holy City, we recommend staying a little closer to Downtown Charleston. Kiawah is about an hour away!
9 Bachelor Party Activities in Charleston
Now that you’ve figured out when you’re going to visit and where you’re going to stay, it’s time to decide what to do during your stay in Charleston!
The dining options include a plethora of delicious restaurants, rooftop bars, and breweries that are all worth checking out in between activities.
- Ride a Party Bus — Experience Charleston in style by renting a party bus. It’s the perfect transportation solution for large groups, offering entertainment, comfort, and convenience.
- Brewery Hop — Dive into Charleston’s vibrant craft beer scene. Visit Palmetto, the city’s oldest brewery, or make it a crawl with stops at Holy City, Revelry, and more.
- Find a Beach — Bask in the sun on Charleston’s pristine beaches. Whether it’s the relaxed vibe of Isle of Palms or the bustling Folly Beach, there’s a coastal spot for every mood.
- Dine on Southern Specialties — Savor Charleston’s rich culinary offerings, from upscale dining at Fig to the iconic fried chicken at Leon’s. The city’s diverse food scene is a gastronomic delight.
- Dance at a Club — Get your groove on at Trio, Charleston’s premier nightclub. Experience high-energy beats from top DJs and enjoy the city’s electric nightlife.
- Book a Boat — Navigate Charleston’s waters on a rented boat. Explore coastal landmarks like Fort Sumter or just enjoy the ocean breeze with your buddies.
- See a Show at the Wonderer — Experience live music at The Wonderer, a members-only club known for hosting public concerts. It’s a perfect blend of exclusivity and entertainment.
- Go Golfing — Swing into action at one of Charleston’s esteemed golf courses. The Ocean Course on Kiawah Island is a highlight, offering breathtaking views and challenging play.
- Day Drink — Relish the laid-back vibe of Charleston with some daytime drinks. Enjoy rooftop vibes at Uptown Social and soak in the city’s vibrant atmosphere.
1. Ride a Party Bus
Whether you’re staying in one of the beach towns (Mount Pleasant, Isle of Palms, Kiawah) and need transportation to downtown Charleston or staying downtown and want to go to the beach, a party bus is always the most fun way to get from point A to B.
This is especially true for bachelor parties that are large in number and personality.
We may be a little biased but there is no better Charleston Limo Service than Double Black Transportation.
Along with standard hourly rates, we also offer half-day and full-day rates that allow time to be shuttled between the beach, shopping, dinner and the clubs without breaking the bank. We also offer round trip rates if you only need a ride Downtown and back from your Airbnb!
2. Brewery Hop
There are over a dozen breweries in the Charleston area and they all offer something unique. Check out our guide to the best breweries in Charleston here!
If you can only visit one we recommend Palmetto which is the oldest brewery in Charleston and also the closest to downtown!
However, if you have some time to make it into a crawl then you can head north from there and hit Holy City, Revelry, Munkle, Edmund’s Oast and the Brew Lab.
3. Find a Beach
Charleston is surrounded by pristine beaches and you should definitely check out at least one while you’re here.
Our favorites are Isle of Palms and Sullivan’s Island if you want a laid-back experience, while Folly Beach is the place to go if you want more activity.
That is a true beach town! Be wary, alcohol is prohibited on all of Charleston’s beaches.
4. Dine on Southern Specialties
There is an awesome food scene in Charleston, with many restaurants specializing in lowcountry cuisine as well as traditional seafood. Fig is our favorite fine dining restaurant, while we love 167 Raw Oyster Bar for all of our shellfish fans out there.
No Charleston restaurant list can be complete without mentioning Leon’s, which serves the best fried chicken and southern-style seafood in the area.
Though finding a large reservation at any of these restaurants can be tricky, check out our guide to the best Charleston large group restaurants. And if you’re looking to save a buck, check out our guide to the best Charleston happy hour.
5. Dance at a Club
While there are many great nightlife options in Charleston, Trio is the only true nightclub where A-list DJs play when they’re in town, including Dillon Francis this Spring.
There are tables available for large groups as well as GA. For a full breakdown, check out our insider’s guide to Charleston nightlife.
We would be remiss if we didn’t mention Republic Garden & Lounge, the setting for Bravo’s newest hit Southern Hospitality. This place is one of the liveliest scenes in all of the Lowcountry!
6. Book a Boat
Is there anything better than renting a boat for your bachelor party? We’re not sure, especially not in Charleston!
You can ride along the coastline or go check out Fort Sumter, a seafort that dates back to the War of 1812.
If you’re on a tighter budget but still want to get out on the water, we recommend the Charleston Harbor Tour as well!
7. See a Show at the Wonderer
The best new place to watch live music is at the members-only club, The Wonderer.
As a social wellness club it is usually open to its members, however they have recently been hosting public concerts at the stage in front of their pool.
8. Go Golfing
There are tons of good golf courses in the Charleston area and you should definitely make time in your itinerary to play a round or two.
The best course that you can get on is the Ocean Course on Kiawah Island. Golfweek ranked it #9 of the best public courses in the United States in 2021.
Unfortunately, their greens fees cost accordingly at a whopping $600 per person. Luckily, there are a lot of other great courses nearby with much lower prices including Shadowmoss and Patriots Point.
If you enjoy the 19th hole just as much as the first 18, consider booking Double Black for your golf transportation!
9. Day Drink
Sometimes you don’t need an activity besides drinking in the sun and Charleston is the place to do it.
Make sure to stay an extra day and spend Sunday day drinking on the rooftop of Uptown Social. Trust us, you won’t regret it! That is until Monday morning.
You Won’t Regret a Charleston Bachelor Party
There’s no doubt about it: Charleston is a premier destination for any Bachelor Party.
From access to high-end public golf courses and active nightlife to the endless array of delicious restaurants, there’s not many better places to be for a bachelor party.
And if you decide on having your Bachelor Party in Charleston…
There’s no better way to enjoy your time than with a Party Bus.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best time of year to plan a bachelor party in Charleston?
Charleston boasts a subtropical climate, making it a prime destination all year round. For the best blend of warm sunny days without excessive heat, Spring and Fall are ideal. However, for budget-friendly options, the cool season from December 2nd to March 2nd provides substantial savings on airfare and lodging.
Are there restrictions or permits needed for beach parties in Charleston?
While Charleston’s beaches are a popular choice for daytime activities, remember that alcohol is prohibited on all its beaches. Ensure you’re aware of all beach rules and regulations before planning a beach day.
How can large groups make restaurant reservations in Charleston?
Securing a reservation for a large group in popular restaurants can be challenging. We recommend booking well in advance and considering off-peak times. Check out our guide to the best Charleston large group restaurants for more details.
Are there any unique bachelor party experiences exclusive to Charleston?
Absolutely! Charleston offers a blend of history, southern culture, and oceanic activities. You can book a boat ride to check out Fort Sumter, enjoy the lowcountry cuisine, or dive into the city’s rich history with guided tours. The options are endless!
What transportation options are available for groups in Charleston?
For large groups, especially bachelor parties, booking a Charleston party bus like Double Black is an excellent option. Not only is it spacious, but it adds to the fun vibe with mood lighting, sound systems, and more. Other options include local taxis, rideshares, and rental cars.